These resources were compiled to help you with sermon preparation. They cover many aspects of the process: learning more about the text, understanding themes in the text, and how to shape the message you will proclaim.
Are You Using the Lectionary?
Revised Common Lectionary texts can be found in several places.
- The Revised Common Lectionary (permanent desk reserve)
- Evangelical Lutheran Worship (permanent desk reserve, reference and stacks)
- Sundays and Seasons BX8067.3 .S96 2007-1012pt;">(permanent desk reserve)
- Vanderbilt Divinity Library http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edues links to related artwork in their database: Art in the Christian Tradition
- ELCA http://www.elca.org/Growing-In-Faith/Worship/Lectionary/Year-C.aspx
- www.workingpreacher.orgWell-known preachers and academic scholars offer help for many aspects of preaching. Features a weekly podcast,Sermon Brainwave and a weekly video, Preaching Moment. Attractive, easy to navigate, with sections on "Culture & Context" and "The Craft of Preaching."
You’ll get the best results with sophisticated software like Bibleworks or Accordance. There are websites out there for Greek, Hebrew and parallel text analysis. Let us know if you find some really good ones!
http://www.utoronto.ca/religion/synopsis/ (RSV, parallel texts)
http://bible.johndyer.name/ (Greek & Hebrew word analysis of texts)
Commentaries vary widely in quality. Ask your professors who they recommend for different scripture texts. Does your theology agree or disagree with their point of view?
- The New Interpreter's Bible (Reference Collection, Book Stacks, BS491.2.N84)
- Word Biblical Commentary (Reference Collection, Book Stacks, BS491.2.W67)
- iPreach Online Commentaries include Interpretation & The New Interpreter's Bible series (Library Home Page -> Resources -> Electronic Texts)
Search the Library of Congress Subject Headings
To find books try these Subject searches in our online catalog
Funeral Sermons or Wedding Sermons
Lutheran preaching (and sub-categories)
Preaching (look at sub-categories, Preaching—History, or Preaching—Biblical teaching, Preaching to Children)
The New Interpreter’s Handbook of Preaching, Paul Scott Wilson, general editor. Nashville, TN: Abingdon Press, 2008. BV4211.3 .N48 (Book Stacks, Reference)
Articles like the “Preacher’s Creative Process,” “Preacher’s Week,” and “Preaching out of the Overflow” provide many insights into the complexities and nuances of the preaching life.
ATLA Religion Database
Look for appropriate subject headings. A keyword search for “preaching” brings up articles with subject headings that may help you search more effectively.
- Easter sermons
- Funeral sermons
- Preaching, Catholic
- Preaching, Islamic
- Preaching—Biblical teaching
Try Keyword searches: good + sermon; preaching + your choice. Browse the Indexes (Subject) if you don't get good results.
Search the A-Z list for Preaching. Change the drop-down menu to “Title contains all words.” These are just a few of the available titles: Currents in Theology & Mission (has a “Preaching Helps” section), Homiletics, Journal for Preachers, Lectionary Homiletics, Preaching, Word & World.
- iPreachThis electronic text offers online access to several commentaries (Interpretation, The New Interpreter's Bible series) and dozens of other great resources. Access: Library Home Page -> Resources -> Electronic Texts-> iPreach.
- http://www.TextWeek.com Focus on the Lectionary, Scripture Study, Worship Links and Resources. Ambitious, well-done site. Not all links are up to date.
- http://www.ELCA.org/hunger/sermon-starters.asp “Ideas and thought-provoking reflections to help you formulate a sermon or devotion on world hunger.”
Explore these great resources. Let us know if you find online (free) preaching aids that we can share with others.
B— —Jennie Bartholomew, electronic services librarian. Download LSL_PreachingAids